here are some pictures of the Heaton home of West House Farm, Oldfield kindly provided by Margaret Stuttard. Current occupier Sally Wellock says her father removed the trees and enlarged the mullion windows in the 1950s.
Sally Wellock tells more of her family’s association with West House Farm, Oldfield and its association with the Heaton and Green families as well as others buried in Dockroyd graveyard.
Sally’s great grandfather Manasseh Hollindrake who in the 1891 Census was described as a master draper living at Main Street, Haworth. His son Charles Edwin was an assistant draper and his daughter Sarah Mary was a milliner.
Charles Edwin married Emily Heaton and their son Eric, Sally’s grandfather, worked at Tewitt Hall Farm before he married Edith Annie Bosworth whose parents farmed at Broadhead Lane, Newsholme. Sally’s mother Marion was born here and lived there until her father bought Hill Top Farm, Denby Hill, Oakworth in approx 1930, purchasing it from the Green family. John Green, the youngest son of Joseph and Mary Green, was born on 22nd May 1832. He was a master joiner, from Hill Top, Keighley when, on 22nd May 1860, his 28th birthday, at the Ebeneezer Chapel, Keighley, he married Grace Lund, the 24 year old grand-daughter of John Green, the brother of John’s grandfather Thomas. John and Grace Green had six children, James (b 1862), John (Johnny)(1865-1939), Joe (1868-1959), Mary Hannah (b 1871), Sarah (1873-1940) and Fred (1876-1941). By 1881 John was a Master joiner and builder, farmer of 23 acres and licensed Auctioneer. The family, complete with John’s widowed mother Mary, were all living at Lower Hill Top. Joe Green and his brothers built Denby Mount, pictured below, the terraced house where Andrew Heaton’s father was born. Joe Green is pictured here with his daughter Lellis, her son Allan and myself to complete four generations.
Sally’s parents bought West House Farm in 1950. Sally recalls that in her lifetime No 1 West House was a 2 up 2 down cottage. No 2 was a 1 up 1 down cottage and we added a downstairs kitchen and bathroom to the rear of the cottage. West House Farm, sometimes known as No 3, only had three rooms upstairs. The large room had nine mullion windows and this was split to make a bathroom and we added another bedroom at the west end of the property by making a doorway into the piece that had not been previously used. We had been told that it had been a peat house earlier.
The 1851 Census suggests that Abraham Wright lived in No 1. His Will in 1863 suggests it was a new-build. Laycocks and Heatons lived at No 2. The Feather family living at No 3 appear to be weaving from home. The 1861 Census shows the Laycocks/Heatons living at No 2 and No 3 to be empty. The 1871 Census shows the Moore family farming West House, having been there when Abraham Wright died. It shows that Robert Moore had a son named Heaton Moore who later farmed in Oldfield. Heaton Moore went on to work as a wool sorter and became a committee member of the cooperative wholesale society in Oakworth. His final years were spent living at 10, Goodley, Church Street, Oakworth with his 3 unmarried daughters, Ada, Harriet and Mary. His eldest daughter Maria married Thomas Shires and they lived at Oakworth Hall before moving to Fell Lane. Robert Moore is buried in Dockroyd graveyard with his wife and several of his children. Heaton Moore was buried in Oakworth cemetery with his wife and children.
Andrew Heaton also has more information on the story of Forster Gordon Heaton.
Foster Gordon Heaton is the only person in the graveyard who died overseas and whose body was brought home for burial. It took over six weeks from his death in Massachusetts to his burial here. Having gone to America in 1907 he returned to visit his family in Oakworth in 1912, two years before his final journey home.
He worked in the dye department at Mayo Mill. The Mayo Woolen Co was incorporated in 1897 and by 1912 operated four mills in Millbury, near Worcester, Massachusetts with 225 employees producing more than half a million yards of woollen cloth each year. This photograph (Courtesy of the Millbury Historical Society) is from the centennial celebration showing Mayo Mill No 1, which is one of the best preserved mills in town and still houses commercial businesses.
A number of cotton and woollen mills were built in this area around 1830. The 1860s were a period of expansion for the woollen mills, and tenements were built to accommodate growing numbers of workers. After the US Civil War, expansion appears to have slowed as consolidation took place. For most of the 20th century, the Mayo Company dominated the economic life of the Village with four mills, most likely benefiting from World War I contracts. Foster Gordon Heaton made his Will on the day before he died. He left his shares in the American Woolen Company and the American Telephone and Telegraph Company to a friend but the dividend was to be paid to his parents in Hobcote, Oakworth, and following their death, to his brother Owen Kenneth